Wednesday, November 28, 2012

9 Tips to Keep Holiday Weight Away


In most every survey, losing weight and getting fit is at the top of the list of New Year’s resolutions. For thirty years, it was number one on mine until I decided to make a change. In my book, Finished being Fat, I went on a journey to lose seventy-five pounds and learned to finish what I started. The first year after the weight-loss, it felt like the holiday season was out get me: the feasts, the parties, and the endless parade of neighborly homemade fudge and treats. But I was determined to never make that weighty New Year’s resolution again. Here are a few tricks I've found that help me survive the holidays -- with both my buttons and my sanity intact.





Stick to the Budget
The secret to weight loss is not so secret. Take in less calories that the body is using. That’s how I lost the weight and that’s how I've have kept it off. My budget doesn't take a holiday vacation. If I have an important party or dinner to go to, I make sure to save most of my calories for that.


BYOB
This stands for bring your own bananas. It doesn't really have to be bananas, but if I’m going to a party where I knew there will be lots of fattening finger foods, I bring something a little healthier. So I’m a good guest and bring a veggie or fruit tray. The party host is usually grateful for the extra offering and I’m not stuck with an empty plate.


Daily Present
It’s the holidays, so I give myself a present everyday. In my daily budget, I make sure to save room for a little piece of one of my favorite indulgences. I'll feel less like a miser when I satisfy my cravings. And since it’s in my budget, I don’t even have to feel guilty about it.


Pretty Plates
I eat with my eyes first. At big family dinners with lots of food, I focus on making a pretty plate. In the case of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, I put the food with color on first -- the leafy greens, the vibrant orange carrots or some sweet potato. Then I’ll add the protein onto the plate. That only leaves a small portion of my plate for the beige stuff like mashed potatoes and gravy.


Float Away
Wherever I am, there’s plenty of water nearby. I try to drink a full glass before every meal. It serves two purposes: First, I feel fuller and I’m less likely to overeat. And second, it helps my digestion to flush the fat.


Earn More
When I've already spent my calories for the day, but that pumpkin pie is calling my name, I earn more calories for the budget. I go for a run, hike, or walk. Sometimes I’ll play in the snow with the kids. With an hour of exercise, I can earn an extra 400-600 calories for the day.


Deck the Halls
I try to stay busy and off the couch. Boredom snacking doesn't add to my enjoyment of the holiday, but it does add to my waistline. I plan activities for me and my family that aren't centered around food. Like going caroling or making holiday cards. It keeps my hands and mouth occupied with something other than eating.


Peace on Earth
The holidays can get crazy. I de-stress and avoid emotional eating through meditation. Every time I want to reach for the tub of ice cream to soothe my frayed nerves, I take a few minutes to breath and meditate instead. I prefer a couple of yoga boxed breaths. Inhale for four counts. Hold for four counts. Exhale for four counts. Then hold again for four counts. Works like a charm to focus my brain on what I really want, rather than the momentary satisfaction of what I think I do.


Forgive and Forget
Everybody has bad days. After I've had one, I look at what went wrong and why I went over the budget. Then I commit to myself to do better -- then let it go. It doesn't help to beat myself up over past mistakes. That’s one of the tricks that has led me to lasting weight-loss -- banishing the Ghosts of Fat Past.

2 comments:

  1. Those are some great ideas. I needed that heading into the holiday season. I always over eat around the holidays and this was a great reminder of things I can do to not pack on the pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Believe it or not, I am us, ually pretty good with Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve dinners, but this year what did me in was having my birthday, a going away party for my brother AND Thanksgiving, all within days of each other. Cake, cake, pie. We do lots of yummy veggies for our meals, though, which is nice. My mom is vegetarian out of medical necessity, which means more options. I like the idea of meditating when I get boredom munchies. I am not typically an emotional eater, but I'm definitely a boredom eater.

    Thanks again for the great tips!

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...